Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Antipodean Percuss

     Yesterday, I was waiting to be notified whether I’d be coming into work the next day at my square gig.  I got no word, but, did get confirmation from a co-worker that we weren’t working.  And so, with all my work at home caught up on, and no work to do the next day (01/21/2014), I started sketching on the Cintiq.
     For a few months now, I’ve been trying to figure out stuff to work on when I’m not doing commissions, and doing my own pieces.  Basically, stuff to do, simply for the sake of selling it as prints, to bring in more revenue.  I had been working on a few intellectual properties that had slipped into public domain, but, I find it a bit difficult to concentrate on things I do that ONLY have a monetary reward.  Like, I can do a commission, because, even though I’m getting paid, I’m also providing a service for someone.  And, when I do my own stuff, it’s something I actually want to do, and I just so happen to get paid when customers by them as prints.  So, that’s motivation to get those done.
     And so, I put away the various public domain IPs I had been working on, and started sketching something based off of something I’m actually fond of, boxing.  I found a picture of David Haye fighting an opponent (don’t know his name), and started sketching something based off that.  Next thing I knew, I was about seven layers deep into this picture, and decided to go ahead and finish it.
    Now, obviously, while it is based off of a boxing reference, I made it an MMA picture instead.  That just has more to do with the fact that I’m more of that than a fan of boxing.  No shade against boxing intended, just preference.  I wasn’t even going to post it, just put this into one of my folders, filled with more than 500 unpublished pieces.  But then, I just went, “Ah, what the hell.”.  So, here goes, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment