Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Obeah Rathskeller

     I joined the Comic Book Resources forums a while back, and took part in some of the threads there.  In that time, I discovered that there were a lot of self published/aspiring creators there.  One of the creator owned works I found out about was Jeremy Tableau, by Greg Anderson.
     I started doing one version of this piece, with the New Orleans skyline in the foreground, and a combo of skulls, cobra heads, and the Papa Legba in the background.  I wasn’t able to make it work, and just scrapped it and started over.  From there, I started looking for references of people sitting at lounges, and got pretty much what you see here.
     The skyline from before was saved, and reused here in the foreground, exactly like I wanted to for the other picture.  For Jeremy, it may be difficult to see, but his eyes are like that of a cobra, as I was trying to stick with the skull/cobra feel.  The lady on his left is holding his cobra head staff, and the one on his right is holding one of golden skulls.
     For the background, I was going to try and add a voodoo symbol like before.  But, I decided to use, again, leftovers from the previous piece.  And so, that’s where you get the addition of the cobra head, and skulls on the back wall.  I wanted it to look like the reverse of a Damballah-Wedo, with the skulls on the ends, instead of the snakes.
     Knowing Greg’s character had ties to voodoo, I felt it was only appropriate to use Jimmy Hendrix’s Voodoo Child in the video.  Anyways, here’s the facebook page for the character, enjoy.
Jeremy Tableau: The Black Sheep

No comments:

Post a Comment