Saturday, April 26, 2014

M.K. Fan Art

     I was doing some fan art for another IP, but decided to get started on the Mortal Kombat stuff here.  I had been wanting to do this almost since I began doing art professionally, but always got caught up in something else.  One of those first world problems, like having to much food and not knowing what to eat first.

      Cozenage Extirpate is based off of the killing of Scorpion’s wife & son.  The story (as I recall) is that Sub-Zero executed them at some point around the time that he killed Scorpion himself.  But, within the M.K. lore, it is revealed that Quan Chi was the actual perpetrator of the killings, and framed Sub-Zero.  Something to do with covering his prior partnership with Sub-Zero by sending Scorpion on a rage quest against him.  In the picture, Quan Chi, disguised as Sub-Zero, is depicted carrying out the killing.   To do so, he’s performed one of his in game Fatalities of ripping off one of the victims legs and commencing a beating.  Here, he’s ripped off the leg of Scorpion’s wife, leaving her to bleed to death on the floor.  With her leg, he uses it as a weapon to beat the son to death.  Take note of  Sub-Zero sporting Quan Chi’s green eyes, as well as Shinnok’s gold medallion on his left pectoral muscle.  And if Quan Chi’s Fatality, green eyes, and medallion aren’t enough clues, his reflection in in the mirror behind him.
     Glacial Decapitation depicts the actual killing of Scorpion by Sub-Zero.  I used the 1st stage from M.K. Mythologies: Sub-Zero, as that’s what I recall being the place where he killed Scorpion.  One of the most famous Fatalities in the history of the game, was Sub-Zero’s head rip/spine dangle.  But, because of how controversial the game was, Nintendo forced the original creators to alter some of their Fatalities of the SNES.  I remember thinking about how some of the altered Fatalities were actually worse than the original, like how Raiden would vaporize your entire body now, instead of just popping your head.  In the case of Sub-Zero, it was the Deep Freeze/Shatter Fatality that replaced the Head Rip. I combined the two here, having Scorpion’s head ripped off after being heavily frozen, and used as a weapon to break much of his remaining frozen body.
     I had been planning on doing mass uploads of certain pieces, like the sport logos.  But, I’m taking longer to finish them than I had hoped, and after having started/stopped with another IP, I decided to start posting these when I finish them, as quickly as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment